2011/10/09

Machinery's Handbook 28th Larger Print Edition

There's definitely a wealth of information / data in this book, 75% of which I will probably never use given the nature of my profession. I'm giving this book 5 stars because so far it's lived up to my expectations. I could probably find some of the same information I need on the internet, but it's handy to have so much of it all right here in this handy albeit rather large book.

I can see, as another reviewer pointed out, that this might not be best suited for hostile environments. It's served me well so far at my clean but cluttered desk, and undoubtedly will continue to hold up for many years. I'm not sure that I'd be willing to pay extra for a bombproof version.

As much as I hate to admit it, sometimes when I need a quick break from staring at the computer monitor, I find myself randomly flipping through the pages of my Machinery's Handbook in search of something interesting. So far, it hasn't let me down.

This won't make it on anybody's fast-paced action/adventure bestseller list, but it's clearly an invaluable resource for the mechanically inclined.

It is very useful to have a version that is readable for those of us whose vision is fading and the only drawback is it comes with the requisite weight and size penalty (which is of note when you are purchasing it as a student and hauling it around to classes in a pile of other books).



New Features

- New sections on...CNC Numerical Controls (written by Peter Smid-author of CNC Programming Handbook), Manufacturing Data Analysis, Fluid Mechanics, Distinguishing Bolts from Screws, Helical Coil Screw Thread Inserts, Calculating Thread Dimensions, Lubrication, Ball and Acme Leadscrews, and Shaft Alignment.
- Revised material on... Properties, Treatment, and Testing of Materials; Dimensioning; Gaging, and Measuring; Tool and Toolmaking; Manufacturing Processes.
- A very user-friendly format...readers will never have to search outside of an area for information on the topic they are exploring.
- Broad math coverage...from the basic to the advanced, you ll find fractions, positive and negative numbers, derivatives and integrals, analytical geometry, circular segments, matrices and engineering economics.
- Updated Standards.

No comments: